Book Club – Business Professionals
Now is the time to get together with other like-minded individuals and improve your professional career. Ivy Bound is introducing the ‘Business Professional Book Club’ to help those who want to further their career and make lifelong changes.
This club is here to regiment reading, direct discussion, and encourage enterprise. The book club leaders lean into applying some of the good habits suggested in each book to one’s professional work and discuss how we can bring these habits into our daily lives as well.
Our goal is to help you achieve your business goal. Whether that means getting that promotion you desire, or seeing more profits from your business. Ivy Bound is here to help you and your professional career.
Our leaders are here to push participants into following the assigned reading, but also to discuss how the reading has had impacts on professional and home life. We aim to take the knowledge that we gain in this class and help you apply it to all facets of your life.
We meet twice a week, with the goal of getting through two books a month. We understand participants have different reading speeds and will do our best to accommodate this as a group.
Our estimated time devotion is 45 minutes in the session and 90 minutes outside the session. This equates to 4.5 hours a week of reading. Including class time and “project time” (30 min per weekend), this adds up to 6 hours a week, for four weeks.
Each month we choose two books. For July and August 2020, they will be democratically chosen by those who have committed to the club two weeks in advance (deadline June 26). From September 2020 onward we will offer three tracks:
Corporate Climbing – Knowing how to navigate the business world
Entrepreneurship – Focusing on the knowledge of sales and getting to know people
Women in Business – Making sure there is equality and promoting the strength of women in the workplace
The book roster can change by majority vote, but we begin with:
- PlatForm – The Art and Science of Personal Branding – Cynthia Johnson
- 48 Days to the Work You Love – Dan Miller
- The Power of Habit – Charles Duhigg
- ReWork – Jason Fried
- Start with Why – Simon Sinek
- 7 Habits of Highly Effective People – Steven Covey
Additional Book Links:
Students are encouraged to purchase the same version of the book, so we are able to follow along easily.
Starting September, we offer the clubs six days a week. This is broken into three categories:
- Mondays and Wednesdays = Entrepreneurship
- Tuesdays and Thursdays = Women in Business
- Fridays and Sundays = Corporate Climbing
There is a short assignment following the first session of each week that is due before the next session two days later. These are meant to reinforce the reading and create discussion points for the following meeting.
Ivy Bound’s Group Leaders / Coaches
Ivy Bound’s book club leaders are skilled teachers. Most are employed for test prep (SAT, ACT, GMAT, LSAT) where reading skills matter. Our coaches who are especially passionate about business are the ones we select for our book clubs. Join them for enrichment in the coming months!
Form Your Own Class with Colleagues
The form your own class is ideal for three groups:
- Colleagues who have a team project and are looking to improve their ability to collaborate
- Friendly competitors in the same field
- Entrepreneurial people in different fields who wish to learn different business practices.
The form your own option lets you set the times of meeting and choose the reading material.
Class Schedules 2020
- July Club: July 10 – Aug 2 Fridays and Sundays 8 to 9:30pm
- August Club: Aug 7 – 30 Fridays and Sundays 5 to 6:30pm
- September Clubs 8 to 9:30pm
- Sept 1 – 24 Tuesdays and Thursdays – Women in Business
- Sept 4 – 27 Fridays and Sundays – Corporate Climbing
- Sept 7 – 30 Mondays and Wednesdays – Entrepreneurship
- October Clubs 6 to 7:30pm
- Oct 2 –25 Fridays and Sundays – Corporate Climbing
- Oct 5 – 28 Mondays and Wednesdays – Entrepreneurship
- Oct 6 – 29 Tuesdays and Thursdays – Women in Business